Tuesday 7 April 2009

Electric Baby

I was happy to be given a copy of Jimi Gherkin's new zine "ELECTRIC BABY" at last month's Web & Mini Comix Thing. I don't know much about zines, but if they're all as good as this, then the zine scene must be the place to be! Well, I call it a 'zine', as that's how Jimi himself describes it, but there's plenty of cartooning included, so to me it feels as much like a comic as a zine. Within it's pages, Jimi uses a very clear comic-strip sequence to show us how to screen print at home (something I didn't know about), lays out his views on religion, and numb complacency vs positive action, and in my favourite sequence, takes the history of life on Earth back to the Big Bang - to remind us just how amazing it is we exist at all. Everything is shown in a well designed, pleasing manner, clearly lettered, with a drawing style that makes me think of a more upbeat Dennis Worden.
Anyway, this lil' mag is so damned optimistic and good natured, that I'd recommend anyone to pick it up. It'll put a smile on your face.



www.myspace.com/jimigherkin

comicsandzines.wordpress.com

No comments: